The market in Bergen - historical and today a place of lively city life.
The present market place was called "Olde Richt-stede" around 1540. Old drawings testify that a Scharren stood on this square. This building, which housed, among other things, fire extinguishers, was temporarily used by bakers, butchers and farmers to display their products on market days. The barrow was demolished in 1850. Next to the Scharren, at the place where the post office stands today, there was a watering place, the so-called "Pfuhl". It served as a fire pond and horse trough and was drained at the end of the 19th century.
Coming from all directions, the streets end at today's market. Today's paving of the market refers to the historical trade route used by fishermen and traders from Zittvitz and Buschvitz, where Büdnerstellen and boat cottages were located around 1800. At the market there are historically significant buildings and facilities, such as the church "St. Marien" with the monastery area. Also the other buildings from different style epochs, were reorganized in the last 15 years affectionately. The central new fountain reminds of the former Pfuhl and invites to stay.