Standing about 1 km outside of Gollwitz, the lighthouse is a beautiful sight despite its rustic construction.
The Gollwitz lighthouse, mainly made of concrete and steel, was built in 1953 and replaced the lattice tower from 1929 in the immediate vicinity as a beacon. The light shines at a height of 13 meters although the lighthouse is not at sea level. The beacon was converted to electric operation and extended so that even larger ships can orient themselves by a so-called leading light. The tower is closed to visitors and is controlled from the Travemünde Traffic Center.