The "Jaromarsburg" is located at Cape Arkona, the northernmost point of the Island of Rügen and reminds of the Slavic times.
The long known "Jaromarsburg" on the northern tip of the Island of Rügen was the sacred cult place of the Ranen, a West Slavic people. It was built as a temple sanctuary in honor of Svantevit, the main Slavic god of Rügen. From the 9th century until the fall of the castle in 1168, this last pagan bastion can be considered the political and religious power center of the island. The castle rampart, which is still 12 m high today, with its moat and the castle interior, has been exposed to the constantly advancing coastal erosion for decades, which is why numerous explorations, prospections and excavations have taken place since 1868 until today.
Author: Dr. Katrin Staude / Archaeo Tour Rügen, archaeo-tour-ruegen.de