Since 1886, the war memorial commemorates Stralsund's fallen in the Prussian-German wars. Before that, the bastion was used as a parade ground.
With the coming to power of the Swedes in 1648, the expansion of the city fortifications with 14 bastions and other fortification systems began. A treaty concluded on January 13, 1879 between the state of Prussia and the city regulated the transfer of part of the military property to Stralsund, which, in addition to the bastions, also included the city walls, city ponds, bridges and individual houses. This contract and the previous defortification of the city in 1873, formed the basis for the horticultural transformation of the bastions and the peripheral areas of the city ponds.