From magnificent floors to fine walking stick knobs, works of art made of stone and precious stones were produced for the ducal court in the Schwerin Grinding Mill. The mill is located on the edge of the stately palace grounds and is in working order and used as a museum. Visitors can learn about stone cutting and stone grinding and get to the bottom of the living conditions of the day laborers and grinding millers. The museum is open all year round.
Exhibition - From stone to castle
The exhibition in the grinding mill tells about the origin of the place as a part of the residence ensemble and about the everyday life of the stone grinders. For more than three hundred years, the wheel of the water mill at the outlet of the Lazy Lake has been turning. From 1749 to 1857, skilled hands cut, polished and polished stones for the princes of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, producing decorative stone slabs, sarcophagi, monument pedestals and fireplace surrounds from granite boulders weighing several tons. For the most part, small decorative objects were created by hand from precious stones and local minerals.
Today, the historic water mill with undershot water wheel is a museum with a functioning demonstration plant for the processing of large natural stones.
09.00 - 17.00 o'clock last admission 16.30 o'clock
Weekends and holidays
10.00 - 17.00 h last admission 16.30 h
School classes and groups, please book in advance under 0385 / 562751
Adults - 4€
Reduced - 3 €
Family ticket (2 adults, 2 children) - 10 €
Groups (from 10 persons) - 3 € per person
Group tour (up to 25 persons) 40 € plus entrance fee
Part of the Schwerin Residence Ensemble
With the inclusion of the Schleifmühle in the core area of the Mecklenburg-Schwerin Residence Ensemble, it is part of the application of the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern for inclusion in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Marriage location Schleifmühle
The Schleifmühle is an external location of the Schwerin registry office and can be used for weddings.
The Stadtgeschichts- und -museumsverein Schwerin e.V. is the supporting association of the museum.