On the Zudar Peninsula, in the south of the Island of Rügen, lies the ferry port Glewitzer Fähre, with a centuries-old ferry connection to the mainland.
For centuries, the Glewitz ferry was the most important crossing from the Island of Rügen to Pomerania. With the completion of the Rügen Dam in 1936, ferry service was discontinued and resumed in 1994 during the summer months. The harbor is of little interest for guest berths, because there are no overnight guest berths offered. From 22:00 - 06:00 the SO pier is used by a ferry as a night berth. On the mainland side, opposite the Glewitz ferry, is the ferry town of Stahlbrode. The town of Garz on the Island of Rügen is planning to develop the ferry pier in Glewitz into a water hiking rest area. The harbor office is located at the foot of the fishing pier. There is no service for sailors. The car ferry from Glewitz shuttles daily at 20-minute intervals.