Neo-Gothic churches are frequently found in Mecklenburg. The Schlieffenberg church also belongs to this style, but stands out for its romantic design and is one of the most beautiful in Mecklenburg. The church is a foundation of the von Schlieffen family, a patrician family of the city of Kolberg in Hinterpommern. The building was designed by the architect K.A. von Heideloff from Nuremberg. The money was raised by the landowner Johann von Pogge, who administered the Schlieffenberg estate. The church was built from 1854-1859 and is characterized by the uniform neo-Gothic design. Brick and hewn granite stones were used. The built-in west tower has an openwork sandstone helmet. The church is built on a cruciform ground plan. The roof ridge of the choir stands out on the building, as it clearly overhangs the nave. From 1992-1994 the church was extensively secured and renovated.
Interior: Entering the church of Schlieffenberg, one will be impressed by the high light-flooded room. The outstanding neo-Gothic design of the interior rather suggests an urban sacral building. The architect was the Nuremberg professor K. A. von Heideloff, so that an orientation to Nuremberg church designs is obvious. The pulpit and the altar wall with elaborate carvings also harmonize with the interior. The high church interior is closed with a net vault.
Entrance portal: At the main portal, between the round brick bars, there are ornamental plant forms made of sandstone, representing the four seasons. Leafy leaves represent spring, spikelets represent summer, vines represent autumn, and Christmas roses represent winter.
View from the tower: When visiting the church, the visitor can see far into the landscape from the tower. The view reaches over the Schlieffenberg lake landscape with the Krummen See lake to the mountain ranges of Mecklenburg Switzerland.
Cemetery with graves of the counts of Schlieffen: A venerable place is occupied by the grave crosses of the von Schlieffen family. They stand under a very old English oak, which stretches its branches over the graves as if for protection.
Hanging beech: The brick west facade with rose window and the hanging branches of the hanging beech complement each other despite the different formal languages (the upward striving of the stone building and the softly flowing down branches of the tree).
The key can be collected from Mrs. Zander, Schlieffenberg, by prior arrangement (038452/ 2 08 98).