Although most of the village churches in the region are Romanesque rock stone churches, the church in Dolgen has a very individual character.
The Dolgen church is a classicist circular building and is thus an architectural peculiarity. The previous building from 1796 did not last long and collapsed seven years after construction. According to the designs of the chamber engineer Friedrich Wilhelm Dunkelberg, a new church was immediately erected in 1806 as a plaster building over a circular ground plan. The domed roof is a plank truss construction with an eight-sided lantern. The wooden mullioned windows arranged in six axes with high segmental arches sit in shallow plaster niches. A reconstruction of the Dolgen church lasting several years was completed in 1994.