First mention of the place in 1232. The neo-Gothic chapel was built in 1852. The churchyard with brick portal and surrounding wall was built around 1500. In the place of the present chapel there was a village church before.
The chapel in Bretwisch, a rectangular fieldstone building, was built in 1852. Worth seeing inside the church are the neo-Gothic furnishings from the 19th century and the Mehmel organ.