The castle rampart of the former fortification of the island of Poel with castle in Kirchdorf is used today for events, markets and as an open-air stage. Information boards provide much worth knowing about the former fortress of the island.
In 1614, Duke Johann Albrecht II commissioned the master builder and engineer Gerhart Evert Pilooth to build a fortress and castle in Kirchdorf on the island of Poel. Thus, he constructed an imposing structure, which was planned and built in two parts. The result was a castle complex in the form of a five-pointed star and the hornwork, which can still be seen from an aerial perspective in the form of a star tail. After the 30-year war, the castle fell into complete disrepair and helped the people of Poel to repair their houses by using the stones from the castle.
Today the castle rampart is used for events, markets and open-air cinema. A model of the Poel castle and church can be found in the outdoor area of the island museum and today it delights many guests.