Putbus Castle is the former manorial seat of the Princes of Putbus in the eponymous town of Putbus on the island of Rügen, founded in 1810. The building was blown up in 1962 and the remains were removed by 1964. Today, only the outline of the building in the green area and the lakeside terrace are recognizable.
The history of this building dates back to the Slavic period. In the recent past, from 1827 to 1832, the castle was rebuilt according to the designs of the Berlin architect Johann Gottfried Steinmeyer, who shaped the castle in the classicist style. The client was the founder of Putbus, Malte. A fire destroyed large parts of the new castle on December 23, 1865. In 1872 the castle was rebuilt in the neoclassical style. It was owned by the zu Putbus family until 1944 and was under the administration of the National Socialists after Malte von Putbus was imprisoned. With the end of the Second World War, looting took place and since no use was foreseen, material removal and decay began. A last attempt at reconstruction in 1955 was not completed. Finally, in 1957, it was decided to demolish the castle for ideological and financial reasons. In 1962 the building was blown up, and by 1964 the remains were then removed. Finally, only the lakeside terrace remained.