The castle church in the park of Putbus
Until 1840 Putbus was part of the parish of Vilmnitz. In that year, the parish acquired its own church records and inaugurated its own churchyard. Putbus became an independent parish. With time, the need to create its own church building grew. Initially, the theater was to be converted into a church. However, as this plan met with the resistance of the inhabitants, in 1891/92 the Kursalon in the park was converted into a church - the upper galleries were removed and their windows were moved inside, the open arcades to the dance hall were provided with windows. A three-nave church hall was created. A church tower was erected in place of the northern annex, while the southern annex retained its shape. The church was consecrated on Reformation Day in 1892, and the bells rang for the first time on July 12, 1893. The castle church is impressively different from the brick churches typical of the island. It is flooded with light, large round-arched windows open it to the park. It forms an impressive ensemble with the classicist buildings in the park and in the adjacent streets.