In the half-timbered house Storkenkate the Stork Foundation informs about its conservation project.
The half-timbered house of the Storkenkate was first mentioned historically in 1645. In 1797, it was moved within Neuhaus by its then owner. And it was not until 1998 that this well-preserved example of an old craftsman's house was moved from Neuhaus to its present location and carefully renovated to meet its current requirements.
The Storkfoundation began a project here in early 1994 to protect the storks through measures such as acquiring land to re-expose them to more frequent flooding and developing a semi-open sage landscape. Local farmers are involved in the project and use the grassland as pasture for Heck cattle, which are re-bred aurochs, and Koniks, which are wild horses ideally suited for these areas. The foundation provides information about the project in the Storkenkate.
Various observation stands along cycling and hiking trails provide a view of the Sud meadows. In addition, the circular trail in the Preten castle forest directly behind the Storkenkate provides information about the native flora and fauna in a playful way. Display boards provide interesting insights into the flora and fauna of the region. Guided tours are also possible here by appointment.
The white stork was once the typical breeding bird of the North German lowlands. Measures such as dyking, drainage and intensive agriculture have deprived it of a large part of its habitat and food source. The Suden lowlands in the Neuhaus district, an EU bird sanctuary and part of the Lower Saxony Elbe floodplain biosphere reserve, are now considered one of the most important breeding areas for the white stork in Germany.