Probably the most imposing building in Ludwigsluster Kanalstraße is No. 26. This building was erected by court architect Georg Friedrich Groß in 1829/30 for the so-called "Lehrerseminar".
Until 1862, rural school teachers for Mecklenburg were trained in the elongated building. Numerous personalities visited the once highly respected educational institution in Ludwigslust, which was organized according to the Prussian model. After the teachers' seminar was moved to Neukloster in 1862, the military moved in and the former teachers' seminar was converted into officers' barracks. In 1930 the city bought the building and converted it into a school. Today, Ludwigslust children still come and go here. After extensive modernization, the Fritz Reuter School for children of elementary school age has been located under the roof of the former teachers' seminar since 2003.