The Elbe town of Dömitz is best known for its fortress. Right next to it there is another historical building worth seeing - the old stone lock of Dömitz.
Near the fortress of Dömitz, on a side channel of the Elbe, is the Steinschleuse. It was built of brick and sandstone from 1568 to 1572, hence its name. Over the centuries, the stone lock has been rebuilt and renovated several times, but the original stone lock chamber has been preserved to this day. Since 1837, it has no longer been of importance for shipping traffic on the Müritz-Elde waterway, but has since served as flood protection.