Made of brick, with a single nave and no tower: the early Gothic church has been remodeled many times over the centuries. In 2018, extensive renovations were carried out on the vault, walls and windows in the interior.
St. Mary's Church in Neustadt-Glewe dates back to the 14th century and thus belongs to the early Gothic period. In 1728, the great fire in Neustadt did not stop there. The towerless, single-nave brick building burned down to its foundation walls and was subsequently completely rebuilt. A half-timbered extension has housed the church bell since the 18th century.
Inside, a wooden pulpit catches the eye, originally made by the Lübeck carver Tönnies Evers the Younger in 1587 for the Marienkirche in Wismar. With its round-arched niches depicting Jesus and five apostles, it has adorned the Neustadt church since 1746. Friedrich Albert Mehmel built the organ in 1873, which was extensively restored for the first time in 1996. A baroque wooden altar replaced the Gothic altar in the 19th century, which was first made for the Jacobikirche Lübeck between 1420 and 1435 and later came to Neustadt. Since 1841, the Gothic example has belonged to the medieval collection of the Schwerin State Museum in Güstrow Castle.
After an extensive interior renovation in 2018, the church now shines in new splendor. The organ pipes were also retuned, and a new lighting concept provides pleasant light and set the stage for the organ in an atmospheric way.