The castle rampart of Garz reminds of the former settlement by Slavs.
The hilltop castle, built in the middle of the 12th century, underwent several test excavations and explorations as early as 1725, during which Slavic pottery and a large number of iron finds came to light. The excavation results, as well as written records, prove that the West Slavic Rans had a princely seat here. However, this castle, built as a wooden-earth construction, disappears far behind the importance of the Karens temple castle near Venz. Through the renewed construction of a castle on the site of the former Slavic ring wall, Garz as a princely seat and young town only gained more power and influence on Rügen around 1300.
Author: Dr. Katrin Staude / Archaeo Tour Rügen, archaeo-tour-ruegen.de