The Pforthaus - the oldest house in Neuhaus.
Already in 1369 "the Nyehus" was mentioned in a document for the first time. Duke Franz II remodeled the local castle into a Renaissance palace. But already in 1712 the castle was torn down again, because the princely house of Saxony-Lauenburg could not show a male heir and the successors, the princely house of Guelph, had no interest in a continuation. Part of the castle was used as building material for the construction of the hunting lodge Göhrde. Only the castle rampart and the gatehouse - today a museum of local history and the oldest house in Neuhaus - are still preserved from the time of the castle.
The Pforthaus was the entrance gate to the castle - a barrier blocked the way into the castle garden just before the first of five drawbridges that secured the castle to the outside at that time. The Pforthaus, which was restored after the fall of the Wall and reopened in 1997, houses a cultural history collection and is regularly opened for exhibitions. The most important event in the Pforthaus is the annual museum festival at the end of August, when artists with a regional connection present their works. The Pforthaus is run by the association führ Bürgerbegegnung.