In honor of the victims of the Nazi regime, a monument made of sandstone with a surrounding relief was erected at the basin in 1951. This is located in the visual axis between the castle and the town church and was designed by the Ludwigslust graphic artist and painter Herbert Bartholomäus.
200 victims of the Wöbbelin subcamp of Neuengamme concentration camp were honorably buried here in individual graves on May 7, 1945 by order of the American military authorities. The population of Ludwigslust and the surrounding area as well as captured soldiers and officers of the German Wehrmacht had to attend the burial.
Over the years, the burial ground was redesigned several times. The memorial received its current appearance in 2000 on the occasion of the 55th anniversary of the liberation of the concentration camp subcamp. On the initiative of former member of the 82nd Airborne Division Leonard Linton, Corporal of the U.S. Army and honorary citizen of the city of Ludwigslust, 200 grave slabs were set into the ground, 51 of which were marked with the Star of David and 149 with a cross. Two plaques in English and German provide information about the history of the site.