The place, which was used to bury Soviet soldiers from 1945, is now a monument to them.
While its location was changed early on from Adolf Hitler Square to New Market Square, it was not until 1994 that the soldiers' graves were moved to a memorial site on the outskirts of the city. The monument's interior inscription, consisting of five Cyrillic lines, translates as "Immortal Glory to the Heroes of the Soviet Army." The structure is decorated with a typical red star, the Sure and the Hammer, as well as the duration of the war from 1941 - 1945. This duration describes only the time from the entry of the Soviet Union into the war until the end of the war.