The oldest preserved fortress in Mecklenburg stands in Neustadt-Glewe. It is one of the best preserved castles in Mecklenburg and can be visited. At the castle, there is a museum that is well worth seeing, as well as a restaurant and a tourist information office.
In around 1250, the Count of Schwerin had a castle built on a natural dune of the River Elde on the outskirts of Neustadt-Glewe. It consists of the Old and the New House, a ring wall with a gate and a wall-walk as well as a keep with arrow slits a dungeon, a knight's hall and privies (mediaeval toilets). While the Old House was where the castellans and servants lived, the dukes lived in the New House.
In its 700-year history, the castle has been used for various things and has had several structural changes. It has been completely renovated since 2006. Today, there are exhibitions on the history of the castle and town as well as art and temporary exhibitions.
During a tour of the castle, tourists can visit the tower with its dungeon, guard and defence room and the reconstructed living room. The "Hofstube" is of particular importance. It is decorated with Gothic and Renaissance wall paintings and has a mediaeval warm air heating system.
Once a year, on the first weekend in June, the mediaeval castle becomes very busy again. Market people, jugglers, knights and the noble lords and ladies invite guests to the castle festival.