The Sagard church is one of the four oldest churches in Rügen.
Around 1210, a single-nave, towerless hall church was built. Around 1400, the chancel was rebuilt to its current size. At the same time, a sacristy was added, the north aisle was built and the south chapel was erected. Around 1500 the bell tower was added and the nave was provided with the Gothic vault. At the end of the 18th century the south chapel was extended to the present south nave. The oldest piece is a three-part wall cupboard from around 1450. Originally decorated with Gothic painting, it was painted brown and decorated with floral work around 1800. The altarpiece was made in 1726/27 by Elias Keßler, Stralsund. The confessionals were installed during the Swedish occupation (1648-1850). The organ, completed in 1795 by Christian Kindten, is one of the most important late baroque organs in northern Germany. The pulpit, baptismal font and pews had to be renewed in 1830, as the interior of the church was destroyed during the French occupation.
Church services are held here from Pentecost to Thanksgiving Day on every 1st and 3rd Sunday of the month at 9:00 am.