The Mecklenburg State Theater in the beautiful state capital Schwerin has a lot to offer: a talented acting ensemble, a versatile musical theater, the third oldest orchestra in Germany, an international ballet ensemble, the Young State Theater Parchim and the traditional Fritz Reuter Stage - up Platt, as well as the highlight of the season every summer, the Schwerin Castle Festival with a diverse program.
The historic theater, which is over 120 years old, is located opposite Schwerin Castle. The magnificent building breathes great theater flair of the 19th century. Already in the foyer, the cultural history of Schwerin spreads its red carpet. The large hall glitters with red plush armchairs, magnificent stucco and gold ornaments and figures that shine in red, white and gold - illuminated by a huge ceiling chandelier. Modern theater technology works behind the scenes, making floors disappear and mountains appear. Everything that had the proverbial rank and name visited the State Theater in Schwerin. The ensemble of the small Grand Duchy already had an excellent reputation back then. Wagner, it is said, stayed in Schwerin with the aim of poaching actors and singers for his ensemble. Even today, the 6-seat house is a first-class venue. The Großes Haus seats 550 people for major productions, and the magnificent concert foyer seats up to 240 and offers space for matinees, concerts, readings, and more.
Theater scene in Schwerin and Parchim
Picturesquely situated on the Pfaffenteich pond, the Staatstheater has another venue at its Schwerin location: the E-Werk. The historic E-Werk building houses a stage with 100 seats.
At the Parchim location, the Theatergaststätte and the Malsaal as well as the Großer Saal of the Stadthalle Parchim are used. In the future, Parchim will have a completely new and modern home for the Fritz Reuter Stage and the Young State Theater in the form of the Eldemühle, which will become a "culture mill.
Evening dress meets picnic blanket - The Schwerin Castle Festival
In summer, all six divisions of the Mecklenburg State Theater present a diverse and varied program for everyone: Whether with a picnic basket on the Floating Meadow, in front of the imposing castle backdrop, in the fairytale castle courtyard, in the natural open-air museum Mueß or in the venerable Great House at the Old Garden - at the Castle Festival, all the arts of the theater are brought up to delight the audience with unforgettable experiences. Information and tickets: www.schlossfestspiele-schwerin.de
Event tickets and parking
The current schedule, seating overviews, tickets and dates can be found on the Mecklenburg State Theatre website: www.mecklenburgisches-staatstheater.de. Parking is available in front of the theater (parking ticket; max. 4 h). Especially on the dates of the Schlossfestspiele, it is recommended to use the parking garages in the city. Several large parking lots and parking garages can be found in the city center (each about 400 m walking distance).
Information on accessibility
- Two marked parking spaces for people with disabilities are available at the Alter Garten (space size: 295 cm x 510 cm; distance to the entrance approx. 10m) as well as one marked parking space for people with disabilities in Theaterstraße (space size: 200 cm x 500 cm; distance to the entrance approx. 4m).
- The main entrance is only accessible via steps.
- Accessible entrances are located on the sides. The side entrances can be reached from the parking lot via a path that is easy to walk and drive on.
- The accessible entrances lead to the box office, checkroom, Great Hall with stalls and loge, concert foyer and Flotow Room.
- Lifts and ramps are available as an alternative to stairs.
- Audio description is provided on selected dates.
- Hearing assistance (including induction loops) can be provided if needed.
- Tactile tours are offered on select dates.
- Assistance dogs may not be brought in or may wait at the coat check.
- There are 2 restrooms for people with disabilities with grab bars.