Historic hydroelectric power station

  • Temporarily closed

The exterior view of the Historic Hydroelectric Power Plant, © Historisches Wasserkraftwerk
Monuments and Sights, Historical Buildings

-temporarily closed- The historic hydroelectric power plant of the Güstrow municipal utility still generates green electricity from hydroelectric power, which is fed into the Güstrow power grid. For interested parties, the Güstrow municipal utility offers a guided tour by appointment.

Due to the growing population of Güstrow in the 19th century, the demand for quality drinking water increased. The watercourse of the Nebel at the Mühlentor mill offered itself as a location for a waterworks.

The need for a reliable power supply also developed in Güstrow. Bottlenecks often arose in the supply from the Rostock-Bramow coal-fired power plant. Thus, the power of the water at the Mühlentor Mill was to be used to supply the town. From 1923, the Francis turbine served only to generate electricity. The turbine was coupled with a direct current generator, which initially only supplied the electricity for the pumps of the waterworks "Am Berge".

In 1926/27, the new hydroelectric power plant "Am Berge" was built in the area of the Mühlentor mill. In addition, the Kaplan turbine was installed. The Kaplan turbine located in the right channel drove a generator to produce electricity, the Francis turbine operating in the left channel drove the pumps for the elevated tank in Baustraße.

From 1999 to 2000, the hydroelectric power plant "Am Berge" was restored by the Güstrow public utility company. The first test run of the turbines was then started as part of EXPO 2000, at which Güstrow was an external location. The electricity generated here is fed into the Güstrow power grid.
.
Source: "Water for Güstrow" by Friedrich Lorenz, published 2000

Picture gallery

Good to know

Contact

Historisches Wasserkraftwerk

Am Berge 4-5
18273 Güstrow


swg-servicecenter@stwg.de
+49 3843 28 85 53
Arrival

Your destination:
Historisches Wasserkraftwerk
Am Berge 4-5
18273 Güstrow



Relaxed from door to door:

Plan your journey by public transport here.

Route planner:

Plan your journey by car here.

Opening hours
Temporarily closed

What's nearby?

To the map
© Gut Gremmelin

Gut Gremmelin

  • Am Hofsee, 18279 Gremmelin

Gut Gremmelin is a private hotel in a historic manor estate with gardens and bathing lake. Regular art exhibitions and cultural events attract guests from near and far. The good organic cuisine delights the palate and the soul. Take part in painting or cookery courses supervised by professionals or restore energy levels with yoga and hiking.

Read more: "Gut Gremmelin"
© Steffen Hoffmann

Ernst Barlach Museums Güstrow - Gertruden Chapel

  • Gertrudenplatz, 18273 Güstrow

Located not far from the center of Güstrow, the Gothic Gertruden Chapel was opened in 1953 as the first Barlach Museum in Güstrow. The chapel houses about 30 sculptures and reliefs by Ernst Barlach, all of which were created during the Güstrow period.

Read more: "Ernst Barlach Museums Güstrow - Gertruden Chapel"
© Wiebke Hörring

Children Youth Art House Güstrow

  • Baustraße, 18273 Güstrow

We show seen and invented from all workshops: painting, graphics, textiles and objects. Figures in the variety of their shape testify to the imagination of the children and young people. The exhibition encourages participation - material is ready.

Read more: "Children Youth Art House Güstrow"
© Schloß Vietgest

Vietgest castle

  • Schloßstr., 18279 Vietgest

In romantic Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, almost halfway between Hamburg and Berlin, surrounded by dreamy ponds and picturesque lakes, you will find the imposing 230-year-old castle with its eventful history. Schloss Vietgest has reopened in 2020 as a cultural and event location as well as a castle hotel.

Read more: "Vietgest castle"
© Christoph Nahr

Güstrow Cathedral

  • Domplatz, 18273 Güstrow

Construction of the cathedral began in 1226 and was not completed until 1335 with the consecration of the altar. The transition from the Romanesque to the Gothic period can be clearly seen at Güstrow Cathedral. The cruciform ground plan and the elongated choir room point to the Romanesque concept. The massive west tower is 44 meters high.

Read more: "Güstrow Cathedral"
© Helga Möbius

Parish Church of St. Mary

  • Closed today
  • Markt, 18273 Güstrow

The Güstrow parish church stands on the market square in the immediate vicinity of the town hall. The first documented mention of the parish church dates back to 1308. After the fire in the center of Güstrow in 1503, which also destroyed the church, it was rebuilt and consecrated in 1508. When you enter the parish church, the first thing you see is the completely restored Jan Borman altar from 1522. This work of art, the ornate pulpit, the impressive organ and a small Barlach angel are already reasons enough to take a look around. But there is one very special highlight that you should not miss: 196 steps lead up to the 41 meter high observation deck of the highest building in Güstrow. A magnificent view over the city and Heidberge, the lakes and the meadows leaves many tourists amazed.

Read more: "Parish Church of St. Mary"
© André Hamann

Municipal Gallery Wollhalle

  • Open today
  • Franz-Parr-Platz, 18273 Güstrow

Originally built as a ducal horse stable, the Güstrow city fathers acquired the building in 1817 to store the wool produced in the country. Today, the wool hall houses modern gallery spaces in a historic ambience

Read more: "Municipal Gallery Wollhalle"
© André Hamann

City Museum Güstrow

  • Open today
  • Franz-Parr-Platz, 18273 Güstrow

Since 2003, the Güstrow City Museum has had a new location: it is located above the city archives in the hospital of a country workhouse built in 1826.

Read more: "City Museum Güstrow"
© Freizeit- und Familienpark Miniaturstadt Bützow

Leisure and family park miniature town Bützow

  • Nebelring, 18246 Bützow

Bützow in miniature, the "miniature town", is equally attractive to locals and guests. Set back in time to around 1850, the viewer here feels like a giant in dwarf land.

Read more: "Leisure and family park miniature town Bützow"
© Christoph Nahr

City Hall Güstrow

  • Closed today
  • Markt, 18273 Güstrow

None of the Mecklenburg town halls of classicism looks as festive and inviting as this one in Güstrow.

Read more: "City Hall Güstrow"
© Stadt Güstrow

Güstrow castle garden

  • Open today
  • Franz-Parr-Platz, 18273 Güstrow

The garden of Güstrow Castle was first mentioned in 1570 and was subsequently redesigned several times. On the occasion of the 750th anniversary of Güstrow, the garden was rededicated in 1978. Old plans formed the basis for the design.

Read more: "Güstrow castle garden"
© SSGK M-V / Timm Allrich

Güstrow Castle

  • Temporarily closed
  • Franz-Parr-Platz, 18273 Güstrow

On the edge of the old town of Güstrow, one of the most important Renaissance castles in Northern Europe surprises with its southern charm. Magnificent stucco ceilings from the time of construction have been preserved. Extensive renovation work is currently taking place in the castle. Due to this, the castle museum is not open to the public.

Read more: "Güstrow Castle"
© Uwe Seemann

North German Nativity Museum

  • Heiligengeisthof, 18273 Güstrow

Christmas cribs from all over the world can be seen in a permanent exhibition. Interesting are the variety of materials used as well as the different ways of processing. Unusual materials include nuts, bread dough, tree bark or banana leaves. The nativity scenes were, for example, mouth-blown, punched or woven.

Read more: "North German Nativity Museum"
© Rainer Boldt

Collegiate church Bützow

  • Kirchenplatz, 18246 Bützow

Visits outside visiting hours are possible at any time by arrangement. Visitors report to the parish office in Bützow, Kirchenstraße 04.

Read more: "Collegiate church Bützow"
© Sphinx ET

Boitin manor house

  • Hofstraße, 18249 Boitin

Former estate domain house of the Rühn monastery - today a venue for events, open house for MittSommerRemise and Schlösserherbst and guided tours of the estate house also possible by appointment.

Read more: "Boitin manor house"
to the list

Content is loaded