Guided tour with Dr. Michael Lissok | art historian | Greifswald &Thoralf Weiß | horticulturalist | Greifswald, participation: 7 Euro
Surrounded by productive estates and university forests, Eldena developed into an important information and meeting place for agricultural scientists, farmers, manor owners, estate tenants and administrators with the Agricultural Academy founded in 1835. In the spirit of the beautification movement, the town and its surroundings blossomed through the creation of gardens and plantings in the public area in connection with the agricultural and scientific areas of the university as well as a highly modern, complex agricultural enterprise. As an institutional supporter and facilitator of innovations in agricultural economics and a pacemaker in the introduction of new cultivation and breeding methods, plant varieties and technologies in Vorpommern, the academy contributed significantly to the progress of horticulture and the development of the cultural landscape. The academic gardener Ferdinand Jühlke (1815-1893) had various teaching and experimental gardens at his disposal for practical horticultural teaching at the Eldena Agricultural Academy.
Nowadays, there are few reminders in the Greifswald district of Eldena that an agricultural college existed here for around four decades. Only fragments of its educational, research and economic facilities remain. Just nine of the former forty or so academy buildings have survived, only two of which are in a condition suitable for preservation. These include the former main building of the academy (Kollegiengebäude) at Hainstraße 5, which is now used by the Jägerhof forestry office. The sites in Eldena, where the academy grew trees, fruit and vegetables and where botanical studies and experiments were carried out, can only be guessed at visually.
The tour follows the traces of the Eldena Agricultural Academy. Some trees and shrubs still bear witness to the heyday of horticulture in Eldena. You will also visit the former main building of the academy and the monastery ruins, which were laid out around 1830.