Guided tour with Dr. Angela Pfennig | garden historian | Stralsund, participation: 7 euros
The Stralsund Hospital on the Sound is surrounded by gardens that look back on 150 years of history. It is also located in a magnificent landscape directly on the Strelasund with a view of the Island of Rügen. The gardens of the Krankenhaus am Sund were created in connection with the construction of the naval hospital in 1938 according to designs by one of the most important German garden architects of the 20th century - Hermann Mattern. Incorporating the old trees from Becker's Park, a plant from the paint factory previously located on the site, a remarkable harmony between architecture, park and landscape was created. The park with its magnificent, loosely distributed groups of trees in the peripheral areas and the spacious meadow with fountains and perennial plantings offered patients a pleasant stay in the open air. It was also used for cultural and sporting events. A nursery supplied the hospital with fruit and vegetables.
The park, with its venerable trees and shrubs, conveyed the historical garden structure until the 1990s. In 2002, large parts of the hospital park were built over with a surgery building and the design of the garden courtyards between the hospital wings was significantly altered. The garden at the former chief physician's house - since 2016 the "Schatzkiste" children's daycare center - was redesigned as a play and open space to meet the needs of the children. Picturesquely situated amidst old trees on the high bank, the tea temple built at the behest of paint factory owner Carl Becker is the last surviving horticultural structure in Becker's park.
During the tour, the original concept of the hospital gardens and their historical development are explained.