St George's Parish Church in Parchim
The impressive tower of St George's church rises above the half-timbered streets and gabled houses from the Middle Ages. The brick church from the 13th century has, among other things, an interior that will interest art historians.
Architectural history – styles
The church was built after 1289 as a Gothic brick building on a cobble stone foundation. You can still clearly see the late Romanesque predecessor of the church. Its nave with two side aisles was built, after a fire, on the remains of a late Romanesque basilica that had no tower or transept. It was consecrated in 1307. Later, an indoor choir with a gallery and three chapels were added. The tower was destroyed in a city fire in 1612, and then rebuilt – but not so high this time. It is now 48.50 metres high. The last major redesign inside was carried out in the Gothic Revival style in 1897. During the decades that followed, time left its mark on St George's church. Renovation work on the church started in 2001. The church is part of the European Route of Brick Gothic.
Sights and specials features
The interior is very important for art historians. This is particularly true of the altar from 1421, the pulpit from 1580, a wooden sculpture from the 15th century and the seats for council members dating back to the 17th century. The philosopher of the Enlightenment, Johann Jakob Engel, found his final resting place in this church. St George's Church in Parchim was said to have been one of the first starting points of the Reformation in Mecklenburg: people preached here according to Luther's teachings as early as 1526.