The tallest of all churches in Mecklenburg is a masterpiece of the northern gothic architecture. It is the oldest surviving building of the old town of Schwerin. In summer season the mighty church organ can be heard every monday at 2.30 pm. Schwerin Cathedral is open to visitors daily from 11 am to 2 pm.
Through great fires, revolutions and the changes of history, the big Cathedral maintained its monumental appearance. We’ll probably never know all the stories it has seen, but in between these brick walls there are many treasures hidden.
The cathedral was founded by Henry the Lion, Duke of Bavaria and Saxony, who conquered Mecklenburg around 1160. In medieval times he was a famous ruler associated with emperor Barbarossa. Schwerin cathedral has originally been a pilgrims church, dedicated to St.Mary and St.Joseph. In 1222 a local ruler brought a drop of Christ's Blood with him from Jerusalem, which people worshipped as a relic. The old romanic church became to small for the pilgrims soon and a new cathedral was built in that place. In the year 1270, the Cathedral was extended to double its size. It turned the church into one of the most important places of pilgrimage in northern Germany. Since there was neither a stone quarry or any other sufficient natural source of building stones near Schwerin, the cathedral was nearly entirely built of brick stones. It was to become one of the first and still one of the most impressive examples of the northern european architectural style called "Brick Gothic" (Backsteingotik). The nave of the church is 105 metres long and the arches reach up 26,5 metres.
The tower - as in the case of Cologne Cathedral - has been completed at the end of the 19th century. It is the highest church tower in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and measures 117,5 metres. Visitors can climb up the tower during the opening times of the cathedral. The view of the city, the lakes, the castle and the surrounding countryside is magnificent and well worth climbing 220 steps.
The cathedral is painted plain white inside, with green and red details on the arches and expresses a typical nothern style. Worth seeing are the gothic altar, a baptismal font made from bronze, a big and impressive cross made in 1420. The famous Ladegast - Church Organ attracts enthusiasts from all over the world. Wonderful glass windows cast their light into the church. The "Christmas Window" is especially beautiful.
Schwerin Cathedral is also one of the churches where you can see tombs and coffins of the grand ducal royal family of Mecklenburg-Schwerin for example the grave of Grand Duke Friedrich Franz II., who built Schwerin Castle.
Opening Hours/ Guided Tours and Tower
Schwerin Cathedral can be visited daily from 11 am to 2 pm. At sundays and holidays it is open to visitors from 12 am to 3 pm.
Public Guided Tours can be joined at Tuesday and Saturday at 11 am.
Mid day prayers 12.10 am
The cathedral can be visited by people with wheel chairs, walking frames. There are special guided tours for blind persons as well.
Please contact the TOURIST-INFORMATION for guided tours in English or other foreign languages.
The cathedral can not be missed. It is directly situated next to the old market place. Parking garage and car parks are nearby (ca. 500 metres) "Grüne Straße"; "Schlosspark Center" (Shopping Mall), "Parkhaus am Schloss"
Historical Buildings, Gothic Brickwork, Churches
direct to website