Frederick, Duke of Mecklenburg- Schwerin had the new palace built between 1772 and 1776 according to plans by court architect Johann Joachim Busch as the centre of Ludwigslust's late Baroque urban city ground. The palace can be visited and there is a café in the hunting hall.
The splendid Baroque Ludwigslust Palace, situated in an extensive park with avenues, cascades, canals and water jumps, is considered the "Versailles of the north". Frederick, Duke of Mecklenburg- Schwerin had it built between 1772 and 1776 according to plans by court architect Johann Joachim Busch as the centre of Ludwigslust's Late Baroque urban complex. Until 1945 the palace was inhabited by the dukes. As a result, the historically evolved atmosphere was preserved. In March 2016 the east wing of the palace was ceremonially reopened after extensive restoration work.
The heart of the palace is the Golden Hall. Monumental columns, large mirrors, magnificent crystal chandeliers and the restored parquet flooring will make it shine in courtly splendour and carry it off into the past times of magnificent balls and festive concerts. The former picture gallery is another important room. After the renovation, the gallery can be experienced again in its original purpose with a wealth of paintings by the court painters Matthieu, Findorff, Suhrlandt and Lisiewsky and extraordinary architectural models made of cork.
Furthermore, outstanding works of art of all genres are presented at the place where they are connected by the two regents Frederick and Frederick Francis I and their wives Luise Friederike and Luise. On an area of almost 3,000 square metres, the visitor can experience art of the highest rank, including the painting "gemalter Tierpark" (Menagerie series) by French court painter Jean-Baptiste Oudry, busts by the master sculptor Jean-Antoine Houdon, porcelain from Meissen, Hamburg silver and art chamber objects and ivory works.
Opening hours winter season:
from 15 October Tue - Sun and holidays: 10 am - 5 pm
Public guided tours of the palace:
from 15 October Sat, Sun and holidays: 2 pm
Individual and group tours of the castle and park by appointment: +493874 - 571915
Guided tours of the residence and the court life on request