Rühn Monastery is a well-preserved monastery complex dating from 1232. The owner is a non-profit, voluntary association. The monastery includes a monastery store and a tavern as well as an oil, mustard and vinegar manufactory.
The Rühn monastery was founded in 1232 by Bishop Brunward von Schwerin as the second women's monastery in the country, after a first attempt in Bützow failed. Its assignment to a religious order is not certain; it is generally referred to as a Cistercian monastery. The medieval complex is still well preserved in its structures. At present, the owner (Klosterverein Rühn e.V.) is gradually restoring the monastery in accordance with the preservation order. In the monastery there is a cozy café in the monastery store with a fireplace and regional delicacies. The production of oils, vinegars and mustards takes place directly on site. In addition, rooms are rented out for weddings etc. and there are guided tours of the monastery and numerous events, including the Historic Monastery Market at the beginning of May, the Apple and Lights Festival at the beginning of October and the Advent Market on the Third Advent. The monastery store is open daily throughout the year