Visits outside visiting hours are possible at any time by arrangement. Visitors report to the parish office in Bützow, Kirchenstraße 04.
From 1239 the Schwerin bishops made Bützow their residence. This is also the reason for the size of the collegiate church. The three-nave building was initially begun as a basilica in the 13th century and rebuilt into a hall church in the 14th century. The special furnishings include a winged altar from 1503 with carved depictions, the Renaissance Kanzenl from 1617, a bronze baptismal fountain from 1474, epitaphs from the 16th century and the restored Friese organ III with 28 stops from 1877. The organ prospect from the 15th century is one of the oldest in northern Germany.