Absolutely unusual by Mecklenburg standards is the "temple-like" town church of Ludwigslust. Not only the colossal altarpiece by two baroque artists and the magnificent gallery for high rulers are worth seeing. The church can be visited.
The town church was built in 1770 as a court church for Ludwigslust Castle and planned by court architect Johann Joachim Busch. Together with the palace square and the palace, it forms the largest baroque ensemble in Mecklenburg. In addition to the north-south orientation of the building, the Ludwigslust town church has numerous other special features.
Compared to the huge altar painting "Annunciation of the Shepherds" by the two court painters Dietrich Findorf and Johann Heinrich Suhrland, the bright interior with its design is almost unpretentious. With a painted area of about 350 m², it is considered the largest altarpiece in Europe. The princely box is equally magnificent. A large part of the decorations, ceiling rosettes and ornaments originate from the Ludwigslust Carton factory - in other words, they are made of the famous Ludwigslust papier-mâché. In the central aisle stands the sarcophagus of Duke Frederick, called the Pious, patron of the church in Ludwiglust. The stone sarcophagus was made from an erratic block weighing several tons in the grinding mill in Schwerin. Since the late 19th century, there has also been a Friese organ in Ludwigslust.
The town church is Protestant and services are held regularly.
The church is open to visitors Tuesdays through Sundays, and informational materials on church history are available on site. Guided tours of the church are available upon request.